Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Paradoxical Commandments

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest people with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest people with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favour underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for the underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help, but may attack you if you help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you've got and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

-written by Kent Keith in 1968 when he was 19, a sophomore at Harvard College.

I remember this was the first message I heard from Mrs Lee Bee Yan (if my memory does not fail me) when she spoke for the first time as SAJC's principal. I was wondering what she would say as she was now a principal of a Christian school. unlike crescent days where she was not free to share her faith. I cant quite remember the verse she shared but i remember clearly this part of her sharing.I guess it reminds you that you should hold your values strong and not be shaken by the reaction of people. Most of the time we are afraid of doing something either because we lack confidence in ourselves or because we lack the courage. I'm really envious of this guy btw. Such a wonderful mind. simple words but meaningful message.

anyway, i guess i remeber this sharing well because in sajc, they stand throughout assembly forces us to be awake to be alert and reflect on what is going on in the devotion. Unlike now, where we sit down and sometimes conveniently fall asleep once in a while.

No comments: